Welcome
Welcome to OZLAVERDA Racing

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Gun Pilot gets down and dirty...

News up date on what the team is doing and latest events.

Gun Pilot gets down and dirty...

Postby laverdaian » Sat May 21, 2011 8:41 am

Pootling around the shed today, in unpack and clean up mode after the last Round, and here's young Drmsby wandering in, looking cool, relaxed, just the way a 'rock star' rider should look as he visits the bike HQ on a weekend off from the rigours of motorcycle racing... ;)
Time passes as we suck a few brewskies, chew the fat, begin to work from our baseline at Wakefield and try to devise a starting strategy for Eastern Creek, even with his and my limited (very,..right ;) ) experience at the place...
Spanners continue to turn, until low and behold, Drmsby's even got a spanner in hand.. very small allen key actually, and is on the job... :shock:
"hey, I'm fine taking things off" he declares.."it's the putting them back that's the problem.." :lol:
So chat we do until hey presto.. motor on the bench, ready for the strip down and refit to get us (hopefully) reliably ready for Eastern Creek in August..
Thanks mate, and looking forward to good racing ahead...now where did I put that inlet cam...?? :lol: :lol:
Ciao guys
8-)
Attachments
DSC_0004.JPG
Drmsby's on it
DSC_0005.JPG
Shed full of dreams
DSC_0006.JPG
Dirty hands make light work..
laverdaian

Re: Gun Pilot gets down and dirty...

Postby XBCoupeJota » Sun May 22, 2011 5:08 am

Good stuff guys best way to see the impacts of racing is hands on work to strip all the components down.

Good to see the pilot with some grease on his hands

Send some more pics as you pull it down maybe start a thread in the racing technical board that details the engine breakdown
XBCoupeJota
Site Admin

Postby laverdaian » Sun May 22, 2011 6:18 am

And then came Mark.. to lend a hand. Another mate keen to take my motorbike apart.. what's happening with that. :?
Excellent day stripping the motor and pistons.. nothing much to report other than a 'grind' feel to the inlet cam, traced to the middle cam block touching on the sprocket, nothing to it that a quick milling won't sort. Engine overall very clean, even burn in the crowns etc., and not a lot of carbon hanging around, no burnt oil etc.
But fun to get into it with a mate, and for me, that's the most important part of this venture, to have good friends, interested in seeing the project through, and sharing in the experience of bringing this wonderful little bike back to life, and doing what the lads at Laverda intended in the first place...
Just a great feeling, so thanks Mark for today, and all my mates at OzLaverda Racing for getting us this far.. :D
Now we await our new (and forgotten bits) to begin again.. :twisted:
Ya Gotta Love Ya Lav
Ciao
8-)
Attachments
DSC_0014.JPG
A friend indeed..!!
DSC_0021.JPG
locating pin..? what locating pin..??
DSC_0022.JPG
the famous failed clip
laverdaian

Postby markQLD » Sun May 22, 2011 9:31 am

, a great reason to keep meself off the couch on a Sunday!
thanks mate , for that 'sense of achievement'. that is a beaut Lav!
cheers
markQLD

Postby XBCoupeJota » Tue May 24, 2011 10:45 am

Mark,

great to see you in the thick of it and helping a mate out. That's what keeps us all going and helps us keep the Laverda name alive. It's a huge commitment from Ian (sorry mate for roping you in) to go racing but when he has great mates around who can pop in and lend a hand towards the collective effort, it makes it all worth while.

Catch you round the traps
Cheers Crispin
XBCoupeJota
Site Admin

Postby blairb » Wed May 25, 2011 12:59 am

Hi Guy's, that workshop looks pretty neat and tidy Ian, Drmsby good to see you getting down and dirty with the bike, this knowledge of the inner workings will give you more to think about during those drawn out backstraight moments. See you in a couple of months. Blair
blairb

Postby laverdaian » Wed May 25, 2011 5:45 am

You orta come up some time Blair and check us out..always good to have mates around to mess the joint up.. :lol:
8-)
laverdaian

Postby blairb » Thu May 26, 2011 1:58 am

Thats a good idea I should try and get up there some time soon, depends how the state of origin turns out.
blairb

Postby Ricondi » Thu May 26, 2011 8:47 am

blairb wrote:Hi Guy's, that workshop looks pretty neat and tidy Ian, Drmsby good to see you getting down and dirty with the bike, this knowledge of the inner workings will give you more to think about during those drawn out backstraight moments. See you in a couple of months. Blair

Hey Blair, speaking of backstraight moments, I picked your Ricondi suit up from hospital yesterday from Phil at Hi-Side. Mate looks brand new, left a few "stories" on there for you. ;)
The gloves look bloody good, but we'll send a new pair down being a OzLaderda factory racer. :D
Cheers
Smarty
Ricondi

Postby laverdaian » Sat May 28, 2011 6:52 am

And then wash day arrives after every good strip down. Out with the table, parts cleaner, various brushes and tools and into it. Start with a good feeling by washing the panels and paint, and give yourself the chance to admire the lovely look of the thing.. and gee they were filthy with oil grime and track splatter providing a patina of black spots and streaks all over her..tank especially needed a bath to get rid of the slurry from a leaking fuel cap.. I think we're on top of that now, but did find that there is a rubber insert that goes inside the filler lip, so once I get one of those things can only improve...
Engine parts and all bolts/nuts are next, and all through the parts washer they go, followed by a good compressed air blow to make sure galleries are clear, and no muck hanging about. Good gasket scrape all round during the process and we're done.. :)
Not much to report here, although at the start it did occur to me if I'd been in the hills 'pannin' for alloy' I woulda struck it rich at this seam...result of the previously described clutch-rubber cover plate failure, and the evidence is obvious as to where the alloy came from as the bolt heads rotated and collided with the case moulding.. sure could have been a lot worse, and I can't help but feel that this failure was in action for some time, not just as the bike finished in the first race.. hard to know, and from the side of the track I couldn't hear anything obvious, but perhaps on the bike there may have been some indicators.. clatter, vibration etc... but I'll have to ask young D about that.. :?
Perhaps he had his mind on other things... :twisted: ;)
In any case, we're now ready to receive incoming parts and get her back together..(note to self, "fit the gearshaft locating pin this time dickhead..") and once again... "GET READY TO RUUUUMMMMBBBLLLLE..!!!"
Gotta Love Ya Racing..Gotta Love Ya Lav.. 8-)
Attachments
DSC_0028.JPG
Da mothaload..
DSC_0032.JPG
ting,ting..grind..ting,ting..grind
DSC_0030.JPG
What a lovely buncha bits.
laverdaian

Next

Return to Team News