Welcome
Welcome to OZLAVERDA Racing

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Laverda Australian Racing History

Pictures, stories and history of Laverda's racing in Australia

Laverda Australian Racing History

Postby laverdaian » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:05 am

Gidday all you Laverda 'freaks'... and yes I do mean even you lurkers out there that love the mighty LAVERDA marque, and just like to keep an eye on things.. and that's what I'm writing about.
We at OZLAVERDA Racing would like to collate some of the history of Laverda Racing in Australia. Sure, we're out there now having a bloody good go, with even more excitement well underway for 2011, but we only follow in the footsteps of those that have gone before.. it's not every bloke..(or gal) that braves the joy of racing a Laverda, but it's just those folk that we want to hear from..
Over the years, many photo's have been taken by riders, their friends, and even some spectators who took a pic only because they were going.."what the 'ark is that thing...??" and bless us if we can even find some movie footage..
Witness the pictures that Mark posted of the 1000 Jota Spondon racing back in the early 80's at Lakeside, in our Wakefield post..(if I had any computer mumbo I'd post them across here.. help Marty..) and you see just the type of stuff we'd like to see...
Post your old photo's here,or if you know anyone that just might have some.. get in touch and we'll see what we can do to keep the mighy LAVERDA name rattling their cages for many years to come...
Thanks guys
Ian
laverdaian

Re: Laverda Australian Racing History

Postby XBCoupeJota » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:18 am

Great stuff Ian,

along with the photo's that come to hand, anyone who has raced a Laverda in anger or knows the history of a racing laverda, please start a topic or add to this one with info on when raced, bike spec, series raced in, circuits and any results. We'll try to collate all the info into a dedicated section on this site so we can begin to piece together the racing history of our great Marque.

Cheers Crispin
XBCoupeJota
Site Admin

Postby laverdaian » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:29 pm

Stuff like this lads... bit rough, but hey, that's the way it was.."back in the day..."
Attachments
DSC_0015.JPG
DSC_0014.JPG
DSC_0013.JPG
laverdaian

Postby laverdaian » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:41 pm

Not too sure who the Silver Dream Racer was, but the the red 83 was our mate Rad, who was a man on a mission as long as he was with us... Lakeside early 80's... man they WERE the days..
Attachments
DSC_0016.JPG
DSC_0017.JPG
laverdaian

Postby Young-Marty » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:06 am

Photos care of Mark,

Young-Marty

Postby markQLD » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:10 am

I would like to start with the No.2 bike of OzLaverda Racing. Hearing the little old girl fire up again in the Redax shed was music to my soul. PeteH and the Monty. This Monty howled after it left the factory and kept howling for many years. Even in a group of more than 6 Jota's we knew exactly where the Monty was without even looking! This Monty was never ridden slow, never. Attached pic is Lakeside in the late 80's? PeteH at a Sportsman club day? A member of Team Stranglers. Team Stranglers ,, now that's another story. Which I'll leave with Ian to explain , mate?
saluti, Mark
Attachments
Monty #24.jpg
markQLD

Postby markQLD » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:37 am

laverdaian wrote:Not too sure who the Silver Dream Racer was,

I'm guessing ,, but might be Leigh Frane ?? No fool. Good bloke. Did a bit of spannering for TTM in the early 80's. And not many 750's had a '81 Jota fairing back then? I'm sure he converted to 270 degree crank, well ahead of the game. Last I heard (years ago) he moved to northern Europe, Norway?, and some low life nicked the bike! Just guessing.
saluti, Mark
markQLD

Postby laverdaian » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:22 pm

Thanks Mark, think you're right, may just have been Leigh..
Few more blokes coming out of the woodwork, so there may just be a bit of history to be recovered.. that is, if our addled old brains can be trusted...
Looking forward to finding out tho'
Meantime, in the world of modern racing..
Attachments
DSC_0550.JPG
laverdaian

Postby markQLD » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:15 pm

Peter White : Many of us have good memories of the bloke smoking the new CB1100R Honda's with the TTM Jota! Long before I knew PeteW, but remember thinking, 'How does he do THAT!' And why does he look like he could go even quicker ,, and often did! The Bloke is a legend. On a totally different level above anyone else I have ridden with. I would never attempt to follow him. No disrespect to our great champs, but if there was ever a race between Doohan, Gardner, Magee and PeteW, and they were all riding what PeteW normally rode, I would put my money on PeteW. Easy money? He never had a Jerry Burgess in the pits, and rode the wheels off anything and everything. Was great watching him on the budget Spondon, smoking the A grader on Gowie's shiny new DB1! There's a good photo of that somewhere. Going around the outside of the Carousel, shoulder to shoulder! Thanks Pete, it was fun.
saluti, Mark
PeteW_0001.jpg
BruceK's 500

PeteW_0002.jpg
Forcella Italia forks were good

PeteW_0004.jpg
having fun
markQLD

Postby peterhammond » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:00 am

Surfing the net and came accross these photos. I recognised them instantly as I took quite a few of them. I can confirm the silver dream racer as Leigh Frane because I took that photo and built a replica sfc exaust for that bike. Leigh was a great help to me, he taught me a lot about engine prep for racing. Regarding Bruces laverda 500 #40 it was alpino spec when Bruce got his hands on it but I had cams and pistons to bring it to monty spec without the cr gearbox, it made for a fast little bike. In the early 80's when I first took an interest in racing my monty, there was a bloke named Rudy Veenba who was racing a modified 3cl (I think to jota spec) I can't tell you much more but I might have a photo if I can find it. As for my monty, by the time it was on the track I had removed over 20kg of usless metal from the machine, including removing starter and alternator and changing the handle bars to clipons. The reduced weight improved the handling quite a lot, although the front end was always tricky to set up. The bike now resides in the mental mans collection and is under going full restoration. If any thing else comes to mind I'll let you know.
Cheers Pete.
peterhammond

Next

Return to Laverda Australian Racing History